WINDOW OPEN. ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
This funding window is officially open and is accepting applications from local small and medium enterprises owned by refugees and Turkana County residents in Kakuma and Kalobeyei, and broader Turkana County.
Women and youth -owned/led enterprises are highly encouraged to apply.
The KKCF Local Enterprise Development Window is open to businesses in any sector
Women and youth-owned/local enterprises are highly encouraged to apply
Applicants can apply for a range of grants depending on their need:
Minimum fund award: Ksh 1.5 Million
Maximum fund award: Ksh 5 Million
Funding is in the form of grants, where disbursements are based on mutually agreed milestones that must be achieved and that are performance based.
The LED window is open to businesses from any sector. To be eligible for funding, businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Request a grant within the stipulated range of Ksh 1.5 Million and Ksh 5 Million.
- The business or enterprise should be founded and managed by a refugee or resident of Turkana County.
- The funded businesses must be established in Kakuma or Kalobeyei area during implementation of the funding.
- Established enterprise with a valid single business permit, having operated for no less than six months.
- Compliant with the Turkana County Government statutory requirements to maintain a single business permit at the time of award/contracting.
- Completes Integrity Due Diligence checks conducted by AECF.
- Businesses not listed on the International Finance Corporation (IFC) Exclusion List i.e. businesses supporting terrorism, production/trade of weapons, radioactive materials, tobacco, among others.
Each applicant will be evaluated and scored against the following criteria:
- Geographic focus on Kakuma, Kalobeyei and the project intends to benefit either host or refugee communities, or both.
- Demonstrated market demand of the business’ products and/or services amongst refugee and host community populations, with a clear vision to achieve sustainability.
- Capacity of the project to deliver and sustain social impact, particularly on refugees and women, and youth.
- Demonstrated capacity of the team to implement the proposed business / project (adequate internal resources/capacity).
- Demonstrated understanding of the forced displacement context, gender issues and culture of Kakuma refugee camp and host community.
- Adherence to the blended finance principles, available on the Term Sheet that can be downloaded below
Applicants are expected to submit a funding application and concept note, presenting a project to be funded, explaining how the applicant meets the funding requirements, and state the funding amount and the proposed project duration.
Funding must be used for a specific project in Kakuma and Kalobeyei areas.
How To Apply
All applicants can pick a copy of the application form from the KKCF offices on 1st Floor, KCB Building, Kakuma Town or click here to download a copy of the application form.
All physical submissions must be dropped at KKCF offices located on 1st Floor, KCB Building, Kakuma Town while online submissions should be done via the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application window closes at 6:00pm EAT on Friday 05 November 2021.